Dear Aberdeen Parents, girls and friends,

Dear Aberdeen Parents, girls and friends,

Welcome to the House blog. The aim of this blog is to give you access to non-vital information about the House and College. The girls get involved with so much at the College and I hope to use this forum as a way of keeping you informed of the activities they get involved in.



Please do join in and check it out whenever you can.



Best wishes,



Kate Newson

House Mistress of Aberdeen



Sunday 17 March 2013

Prize Winners and Jessica's Speech

Below are photographs of the prize winners from the Aberdeen Dinner and I thought it would be nice for you all to see a copy of Jessica's Speech.   She really does embody the essence of what it means to be in Aberdeen.   Thank you Jess.
Jess with the Aberdeen Dragon

Michaela with the Crystal Aberdeen Award

Harriet and Caitlin with the Cup of Friendship

Ashleigh with the Housemistress Cup

Maxine with the Aberdeen Diamond

Sarah with the Aberdeen Sapphire

Jess Van-Droogenbroeck's Speech: 2013

Good evening ladies.
Standing here I am reminded of the first time I came to Ardingly and Aberdeen House.
I had never attended any other school apart from my school in Uganda and off course never been to boarding school. I was apprehensive, anxious and nervous. However, I thought to myself, if I can handle Africa surely I can handle this!!
From the moment I walked into House, the fifth and sixth formers warmly welcomed me and I have since felt that Aberdeen is my home away from home as well as Micki’s house. I remember doing shell activities and immediately making life long friends.
But it is not just the modern swanky facilities that make Aberdeen our home away from home; it’s the people in it.
Firstly, the students here present and those who left for 6th Form here or elsewhere that make this house the way it is they make us all feel like one family, older girls mentoring younger ones and and all the girls having elder sister, younger sister relationship. Aberdeen girls look out for each other and look after each other. It’s this spirit of family that makes it special being an Aberdonian.
Tutors, I’d like to thank you on behalf of the house for always taking care of us and listening to us rant about how much homework we have. Although we can be under appreciative and a burden at times it seems appropriate to formally thank you.
Our matron and her support staffs who make our lives in this “home” comfortable and allow us to pass our days at ease. Let me tell you a little story. When my parents dropped me off the first time, with all my clothes and belongings neatly labelled, my mother said that perhaps now I will learn how to sew on buttons and nametapes for any new uniforms that I will get in the course of the year. She said I might even get to learn how to iron, clean and cook. I don’t what gave her that idea I would learn any of them because am in my third year in Aberdeen and I still cannot sew on buttons or nametapes. To be honest I can barely make my bed without help. Thank you Matron. We really do appreciate every little thing you do for us.
Another big thank you we owe is to Miss Ward. Some of your efforts also go under appreciated and we take for granted your tremendous leadership, effort and patience you have for us. As amazing as she is, Miss Newson can’t deal with us 7 days a week and we therefore couldn’t get by without you.
Lastly but by no means least, our brilliant Housemistress Mrs Newson, I think really, she should be called housemother because for us, she is our second mother. She supports us and looks after every girl making each feel special and cared for. Thank you especially from our boarders and me personally for your care, support and advice for school and personal concerns.
I have grown and matured as a member of this house. I will look back on my years in Aberdeen as one of the best periods of my life where lifetime memories and lifetime friends have been made, and I hope you all do the same.
I am sure this is where I am expected to pass on age-old wisdom to my fellow housemates.

Thank you all.
I leave you with a quote from Eleanor Roosevelt wife of American President Roosevelt
"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing you think you cannot do."- Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment